Monday 3 June 2013

Home and Children

I am back in Calgary having driven from Yellowknife to Calgary in only two days. Kate and I spent 12 hours a day for two days, driving my truck from the northernmost point of the Mckenzie Highway all the way down to Calgary, with a stop in Edmonton for Chinese food buffet with my brother Jim. It was a terrific drive and a wonderful time with Kate.

Travel is terrific, but being home is wonderful too. It was so relaxing to arrive here and sit in my black chair. It is calming, soothing and safe to be at home. What's even better is that my daughter Meaghan is here too. That means three of my four children are with me today; it's a wonderful day.

The sisters are going to spend the day together, perhaps shopping or visiting the Glenbow Museum. Their time together is all the more special given that Kate hasn't seen Meaghan since last Christmas. It's good to see them together and I love listening to them chatter. It reminds me of when they were teenagers, those days when all my children and all their friends were hanging around our house. The noise and boisterous laughter is wonderful to remember.

I love being a Dad; I have always loved being a Dad. I am still a Dad and I will be until the day I die. I don't mean being a  father. Any male with the right working parts can be a father. I like the Dad part, building lives and memories with my children, seeing them through childhood and into adulthood, helping on their journey, sharing that triumphs and supporting them through failures. I loved, and still love, having children.

One of the toughest things about the changes in my life over the last couple of years has been the loss of this regular interaction with them. I have four children and they have been one of the best things in my life. Ricky is around and I am so grateful for him. Kate is coming to Calgary after the summer and that will mean a lot to me. Having Meaghan and Mary visit more often would be even more wonderful.

I love having my kids around me. It's such a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment