Saturday 22 February 2014

Running Away

The tired arm saga continues, as it will for many months to come. That I would write about it two days in a row simply demonstrates that this is now the forefront issue in my progression. There is a fair bit of muscular pain in my left bicep. It is now extending down into my lower arm and my right bicep is hurting too. What I think is happening here is that my left arm is weakening and I am working it harder to make up for the muscle loss. That means my right arm is working harder too and even though it remains fairly strong, that extra work has an impact.

I also found myself absolutely exhausted yesterday. After a short bout of shopping for bathroom safety rails, or as I call them, "Oh Shit Bars", I came home at around 5:00 PM and managed to sit on the couch to watch a bit of TV. It felt good to get out of my wheelchair and feel like I was sitting like a normal person, or as much like normal as I can with my legs just lying there. Still, I must have been comfortable enough; I dozed on and off until finally waking at about midnight, whereupon I went to bed. I slept until nearly 10:00 AM this morning and even after that I lay in bed reading until nearly 11:00 AM.

The exhaustion is a part of the disease. It is compounded, however by the stress associated with the renovations going on around me. This harkens back to when I was in the middle of my divorce and my stress level was very high. During that time I experienced a rapid decline in my legs and my exhaustion levels were extreme, along with my emotional stress levels. Correlation does not mean causality, it's just interesting to see.

Of course there is a temporary solution to the stress; get out of town for a day or two. This weekend would be a perfect time to make a quick escape, to drive somewhere for a few hours, find a nice place to settle, sit in a quiet lounge and relax for a few hours. Then, after a night in a hotel with a shower and toilet, something lacking in my apartment these days, I could come back Sunday afternoon and get ready for the Monday morning onslaught.

Running away, at least for a bit, is not always a bad thing.

1 comment:

  1. If this is what you need to do to have a quiet relaxing weekend, go do it! Hopefully the roads will be better than here,and you find a great wheelchair room.We all need to get away from the stress to preserve our sanity sometimes.

    ReplyDelete