Friday 4 April 2014

A Better Bathroom

Jim is here today, most likely for the last time in a while. We are nearly finished the renovations, with only a few finishing touches to be completed. I have enjoyed having him here; we have spent more time together in the last few months than perhaps in the last 20 years. He is very different than me and this time together has let me come to appreciate those differences.

Today we are going to work on putting up the bifold doors in the hallway and my bedroom as well as putting up the safety bars and shower seat in the bathroom. The ceiling has to be finished; there is a spot about 6 feet by 5 feet with new gyproc which needs that popcorn textured stuff applied to it. So far none of us have been brave enough to do it; Jimmy does not lack for that kind of bravery.

After that, there are a couple of fiddly little things, like bits of baseboard that need to be trimmed down, a door case that needs to be put back in place, door stops that need to be attached. It's always a surprise to me the number small things that it takes to finish a project, any project, whether it be renovations to an apartment or a major technology project.

There is only one thing that I have asked for this last day of work, that all cutting of any wood be done outside, on my tiny little patio. The amount of dust created when cutting MDF board is incredible. We have spent hour upon hour in the dust, breathing and sleeping and sitting and eating with it all around. It's not dangerous, just very annoying, the grit and grey showing up everywhere. I am done with dust.

It is good to be at the end of this project. It is already making a major difference in my life, improving my quality of life, allowing me to do things that have of late escaped me. When we talk about how I will live my last days, quality of life is a big part of the discussion. When the time comes where I can no longer cook, no longer shower by myself, no longer make wine or do my own laundry, that will be the true loss of quality in my life. A better bathroom is a big contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment