Saturday 12 July 2014

Grandstand Show

I went to the Calgary Stampede last night, a first for me even though I have lived here in Calgary for more than four years. I've been here in visits during the Stampede as well. With all that opportunity you might have thought I would have been there sooner. There are several reasons for my lack of attendance at this spectacle of western life. First, I've spent most of the last four summers on my boat, leaving Calgary at the end of May or June, returning for work in September or October. Second, the one or two times that I have been in Calgary during the Stampede, I've not had anyone to go with. Third, I just never got around to it.

There was more to my visit yesterday than simply attending the Stampede. For the first time in my life I took in a Grandstand Show. I have never done this before, attended the major entertainment element of any fair or exposition. I've been at the Pacific National Exhibition several times over the years. I've been at the Canadian National Exhibit a couple of times. I've been at AgriFair in Abbotsford countless times. Yet in all these times I have never seen the high profile stage show that goes with these events.

The reason behind this is simple; money. When the kids were small, we couldn't afford the cost of tickets for all of them, so we didn't go. As the kids got bigger, there were other things happening and we made other choices. When we finally got to the point where all this stuff was out of the way, my ex-wife would simply argue me out of going in order to save the money, for what else I just don't know. I remember once when the Rankin Family was playing in town; I like their music, a lot. I suggested we go and she said "Let's just buy their CD and save the ticket money for other things." Needless to say, I did not get to see them.

The whole lifetime of frugality is a hard habit to break. Even yesterday I was uncertain going to the Grandstand Show, that is until I got to the admission gate. I then realized this would probably be my last chance to do this, my last chance to sit in the grandstand and be entertained. So I bought the tickets, one for my friend Mike and one for myself. It was well worth the money, every penny of it. I wish I had done this years ago.

There are those who contend that living a life of self-denial brings you closer to God. For other people the frugality is more important than the entertainment. Others simply cannot bring themselves to spend, no matter what. I am not one of these people. I want to see Grandstand Shows again and again. I had a great time; I loved it. I am even thinking of going back on Sunday, just to see the same show again! I probably won't. After all, being cheap is a hard habit to break.

1 comment:

  1. Good times my dear go quickly, take them in while they are available.

    ReplyDelete