Saturday 29 November 2014

Cold Weather Effects

I finally managed to get myself up and out of bed today. It was a long, tiring day yesterday, with the funeral, home care, and my own errands. I could easily have stayed in bed all day today, and that's after going to bed at 8:30 PM last night. I guess I needed the rest. I could probably go back to bed and sleep again, right now.

A day at home today seems destined. The weather outside is frightful, to steal a line from a song. The sun is glaring off the brilliant snow piled high on the branches of my tree. The parking lot and streets below are covered in a rubbled, frozen white sheet. Traffic crawls carefully, people tread lightly; it's an icy wonderland out there, where the temperatures hover around -20 Celsius.

To top it all off, the lift system in my truck seems to dislike this cold. It was even colder than this yesterday, in the midst of what can only be described as something resembling a blizzard only colder, when I set off to the store to get some needed supplies. I don't mind this weather, mostly. With my truck and my mittens, I can face it almost any time. Except yesterday, in the middle of the Costco parking lot, the seat lift on my truck refused to rise.

It may have been the clutch, or frozen lubrication; perhaps it needs a winter service. Regardless, I could not get into my truck. Fortunately Dion was with me, and between the two of us we got enough out of it to get me on board and home. Then, in the safety of my heated garage, we took a look at it, or rather Dion took a look at it. After a bit of peeking and poking, it suddenly started working again. All we could do is put it down to the cold weather.

On Monday I will take it into the shop. I suspect they will know what to do and that the service required will be quick. As my friend Mike said, "It probably requires regular service. You might find that in the owner's manual." I'll bet you can imagine my thoughts as I heard those words. The truth is, I never worried about service. Nobody, not even me, thought I would be using it this long; this is my third winter with the lift and hand controls. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment