Monday 22 December 2014

Looking After Myself First

Today will be the first full fledged day of holiday family. Rick has decided to stay here at the apartment, sleeping on the couch. Mary, Albert, Rose and Quinn are already settled in at Kate's place. With their rented car, they can come and go as they please. Right now it pleases them to be over at the mall. In an hour or so, they will descent upon my apartment. Tomorrow we will add Meaghan, Lewis, and Charlotte to the fun and games.

I find myself becoming less effective in managing all of this than I have been in times past. I miss things, forget about stuff, neglect that which needs to be done. In the last two days I have had to unplug both my toilet and the filter on my dishwasher. I completely forgot about grocery shopping, something I will do this afternoon with Mary. We need food for her family and Meg's family, food they can use while staying at Kate's place.

Dinner over the next few days will mainly take place here, at the apartment. Roast Lamb, pizza for the birthday party, Honey-Mustard Glazed Ham, turkey on Christmas Day, leftovers whenever. I have a full menu and a complete set of meals ready to go. Unfortunately they are all here, all for dinner, when Mary and Meg need food for breakfasts and lunches. I am going to encourage both fridge raiding and leftover taking, as well as a bit of shopping for good stuff.

I can do this. I can make it all happen. In years past, this level of activity would be nothing to me. These days it is taking everything I've got to get it all done. Hence the lowered level of effectiveness. I am going to do my best to keep up. I know for sure that some things will fall by the way. I will simply ask for forgiveness, moving on to the next important thing.

Right now, the most important thing is exercises. Home care will be here in about 20 minutes. My stretches will get done. Fortunately this activity will happen regardless of who else is here. As I was told yesterday, I have to look after myself first, or else I won't have the strength to look after my guests. Between Home Care, helpers in my house, and as much sleep as possible, I will have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment