Wednesday 21 January 2015

A Call From Revenue Canada

I would like to thank Revenue Canada for calling and waking me up today. While I didn't enjoy the nature of our conversation, the nice young man from Summerside, PEI was quite polite and very understanding. He seem rather upset that I would take income from my company and yet not file my corporate taxes. I explained my reality and he listened, finishing the call by saying he "needed to do some more work on the file" and that he would call me back in a couple of days. I suspect they are going to do something to get their money; I just don't care all that much.

It was just after 11:00 AM when he called. I was still dozing, half asleep, not yet ready to face the day. It had been a long night of sleep and still the exhaustion of ALS had not left me. I went to bed yesterday at 4:00 PM thinking I would nap for an hour then go to my weekly Trivia night. I awoke just before 6:00 PM and realized there was no way I could get up and go. It just wasn't in me. So I let Mike know that I wasn't going to be there and went back to sleep.

All told, I've slept about 17 hours. You would think I would be ready to go after all that sleep. Unfortunately that is not the case. My hands are shaking terribly this morning, so much so that I can barely type. I'm like a human vibrator right now. My arms are weak as usual. I don't feel like eating but I will force myself to have some leftover Greek Salad in a bit. This is the new normal for me, slow to rise, slow to engage, slow to action.

The whole Revenue Canada thing is ironic. They say the only two certainties are death and taxes. I am dealing with both of them. Oddly enough, since death is a certainty for me in real terms, I'm not all that worried about it. And since ALS is doing its best to bankrupt me, I'm not all that worried about Revenue Canada. They can get in line. I know they will position themselves first in line, but I'll be dead before the line starts to move.

Money, that's all it is. My Mom used to say that the Golden Rule was "He who has the gold makes the rules." I don't really think so. All the money in the world will not save me from the outcome of ALS. Money is good to have, and bad to have. It's best when spread around and shared, like a nice bit of jam on toast. Perhaps that is what I will have now, for breakfast, at 1:00 PM.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about my last post..... I rebooted and WALA, your back!!

    ReplyDelete