Tuesday 9 June 2015

Do I Call The Fire Department?

Do I call the fire department, or no?

It's a question I have been pondering all day. I want to go to my Trivia group tonight. Dion has said he will help me down the stairs in the stair walker, but he has to work, so he will either be late, or arrive at the very last minute. I hate to put him to all the trouble. There are others I might call too, but I hate to ask. I hate being an inconvenience, a problem. I actually don't like being a nuisance to others around me. I ask enough of them already.

My other option is to call the fire department. Once again, I hate to be a nuisance; these men and women have real jobs to do, lives to save. To ask them to be distracted from that most important task, simply so I can go to my Trivia night, seems wrong in my mind. Once again, I don't like being a nuisance to my community.

It's not enough that the departure from my apartment is problematic, but the venue is problematic too. Trivia is held on the second floor, up a long flight of stairs. There is no elevator, no wheelchair lift, nor is there a plan to put one it. Once my elevator is done and I lose the stair walker, it will become even more problematic for me to get to Trivia. Once that happens I suspect my Tuesday nights will become even more empty.

Add to this whole mess is what will happen when I get there. If I get there early, there will likely be nobody there to help me unload the machine, nor to help me up the stairs. If I get there when everyone else arrives, my trip upstairs becomes a spectacle, and not one I like. If I get there late, things get even worse as four or five guys come downstairs to help me.

All in all, it's a lot of fuss to get to a Trivia game. Except I have been going with this group for five years, every Tuesday night when I am in town. To sit at home while they are all there annoys the hell out of me. So I want to go.

Which brings me back to the question, "Do I call the fire department?"

NB

In the end, I have decided not to call the fire department. Dion will be here soon and he will help me. I am going to have to call the fire department to get out tomorrow so I can go to the ALS Clinic. I don't want to call them too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment