Thursday 20 August 2015

I'm Bored

I'm bored. I admit it. I'm bored. I have nothing on my schedule today, no plans for anything at all. I have no meetings, no social activities, no shopping to do, no laundry to be done; nothing... other than writing this blog entry. I'm a grown man, not a six year old. There are plenty of things I could do, plenty of adventures, troubles I could get in to. Yet here I sit, my mind empty of possibility.

This actually causes me some significant concern. There is a time coming when my ability to do will become increasingly limited, when sitting at home with not plan nor schedule will become the daily routine of my life. I need to take advantage of this time, now, seize this day, the opportunities in it. Unfortunately I am having trouble figuring out what they are. Nothing springs to mind.

I suppose I could go sort out clothing, getting rid of stuff I no longer need. I suppose I could read more of my book about the wartime history of T. E. Lawrence, that intriguing figure made famous by the movie, Lawrence of Arabia. I suppose I could go shopping for nothing, or perhaps a few bits and pieces I could invent for myself as necessary. There's even Netflix, with thousands of drab entertainment choices spiced up with the odd truly interesting show.

It's not that there is nothing to do; there is always something to do, something to be done. It's just that all of it seems so inconsequential today, so unimportant, unappealing. This week I am staying home, resting, not going out at night. This week I am cutting out alcohol, resting my body as it recovers from my recent infection and sepsis. This week seems to be going on forever, as I await the opening of the gates of my social life once again.

I'm bored. I admit it. I think I'll watch TV. That's how bad it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment