Friday 16 October 2015

Driving Test

I am about to go and take my driver's test, or at least I am going to try. I don't have an appointment; they agency suggested I just come by and see. More than likely I will end up arranging a specific time and date for early next week.

The whole driver's license thing is another example of a hidden cost associated with ALS. I have to do a driver's test every year. It makes sense; I have a deteriorating condition. The government of Alberta wants to be sure I can still safely operate a motor vehicle. The only way to really do that is to test my driving skills. Fortunately I don't have to pay for the test. All I have to do is drive to the testing station, wait until I can be tested, drive around for the test, and then, if successful, drive home again.

The hidden cost in this is the small cost of gas for the test, and the time I use to take the test. In addition, there is the stress of the whole process. There's nothing to be done about this; it is what it is. It's important that I not be danger to other drivers on the road, or at least not more of a danger. It's not that I am unwilling to do this; I am more than willing. It's just that this is another thing healthy people don't have to do, at least not every year.

It's not just ALS that might cause me to fail this test. I might just make a mistake, not see a sign, not do something I should do, any number of regular bad driving habits that we all have. If I fail, regardless of the reason, I get to have Learner's Permit and have to pay for the next test.

All of this is a reminder to me that there will come a time when I will be unable to complete this test, when I will have to hang up my keys. There will come a time when I can no longer drive. This will be a very bad day for me. I suspect, however, that my inability to drive will have less to do with the actual act of driving and more to do with my ability to get into my truck. That ability is leaving me quickly. I would like to drive for another year; I always hope for more. We'll have to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment