Monday 15 February 2016

Just Some Random Thinking

Some days I think I would like to have someone do a video of what I go through to get up, go to the bathroom, and get dressed each morning. I feel like writing about it doesn't do it justice. On the other hand, the video would probably be X-rated due to profanity and nudity. Nobody really wants to hear and see what mornings are like for me.

The only really good thing about a morning for me is that I get to live another day. It's another opportunity to feel the warmth of the sun on my face, the brisk winter wind on my cheeks. It's another opportunity to enjoy a hot cup of coffee, an orange, a slice of cheese. It's another chance to see humour, to laugh, to find something funny in my life. A laugh a day is what really keeps the doctor away.

Outside the sky is a soft, gentle blue, stretching, as it does here on the edge of the prairie, off to an invisible far and distant horizon, flocked with light, cotton batten clouds that slowly drift east and south, off across the great plains of North America. It is warm, at least in Calgary terms, in terms of a winter's day here in the great white north. The temperature right now is about 6C, or about 47F. It's been warm enough lately, thanks to the Chinooks rolling through, that the snow is gone from the parking lot across the street, from the crosswalk, from the roadway.

It's nice enough to entice me to make the transfer to my power wheelchair, to make the adventure out, across the street, to the mall. It's nice enough to make me once again want to be outside, enjoying the air, hearing the sounds of life. It's nice enough to make me want to go through the hassle of getting up and getting dressed. It's hard to enjoy life if you don't get out of bed. That's the first requirement.

3 comments:

  1. I think all your statements about getting out of bed are important. People don't heed it enough. If you don't get out of bed nothing is going to change. But you point out if you don't get out of bed, that can become The way it is. If you stop doing what you should be doing, which is living with ALS, then whatever you stop, like you say, is like a self – inflicted prophecy not to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to post every day because I think you put out the effort, for all these years, to post daily. I know a lot of readers are reading this every single day, but they're not posting. They should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably think, I'm glad you said something. Otherwise you're wondering why is this random posting on my blog every day?

    ReplyDelete