Tuesday 5 April 2016

I Don't Believe It; I Can Still Drive!

We're going for a bit of a drive today. Nothing new, nothing we haven't seen before, simply headed west from Calgary up into the mountains. Yet still I will be in awe of those rough and rugged edges of the Rockies rising above us as we wander and weave, riding the twisted roads through the valleys and canyons below. I am ever impressed by these massive blocks of tortured stone, becoming increasing visible and striking as you head from the open plains of the east, through the foothills, then suddenly into their jaws.

I admit it. I love to drive. I am continually amazed that I still get to do this, that I can still drive long after my best before date. My 36 month prognosis came to a close more than four months ago. Yet in those four months I feel only a slight change, a limited loss. I know that it is happening. I know that ALS is progressive. I can feel the changes. But here I am, about to get into my giant steel chariot and once again wander the roads of Canada.

To get a sense of how surprised I am at where I am right now, you have to understand that I didn't pay my parking tickets in my first year after diagnosis. I thought I wouldn't be driving in year two, so what the hell. As it happens, that was a couple of years back and here I am still at the wheel. Then, as I did my driver's test, I discovered that I had to pay those tickets if I wanted my license. Again, this is a couple of years ago!

Each year I take my driving test. This is so the government is certain of my safety, and the safety of others on the road. After all, I have a degenerative neurological disease which affects my muscle strength. It makes sense that they would check me on a regular basis. The first year, I thought it would be the last year. The next year I was certain I wouldn't make it for more than six months. Now, I just don't know.

What I know for sure is this. Today I will get in my steel and glass deliverance machine and find the freedom of the open road. Today I will turn the wheel, hit the gas, and feel the power of the engine. Today I will go where I want, when I want. Today, it's a road trip day. Freedom!

1 comment:

  1. That is so Awesome Richard!! You go for it!!

    Keep us posted as to your journey of the day. I can't wait to hear of your explorations!

    ReplyDelete