Saturday 14 May 2016

Betty's Run

I've set up my team site. I've sent out emails to everyone I know. Friends have already started to make donations. With all of this underway, I thought it might be time to share a little bit about Betty's Run for ALS, and what it means to me.

First, there is Betty; Betty Norman. Here is what the run site has to say about her. "Betty Norman was a very active 58-year-old Calgary woman when she was diagnosed with ALS in August of 1996. Betty's courage and determination to make a difference that year was the driving force behind the June 1997 "This One's for Betty" walk/run. Sadly, Betty passed away in her home within 11 months of her diagnosis and two weeks after the event that she inspired took place."

As with all things such as this, the story behind the story is the real story. When Betty was diagnosed, her constant friend, Jane Rivest, was with her, and stayed with her. Jane spent one day each week with her early in the process. Then, as the end approach, Jane was her full time care giver for the last four months of Betty's life.

Jane is also the moving force behind Betty's Run. She and a group of friends got together to start Betty's Run. Unfortunately Betty would only ever get to attend the first one; she died shortly thereafter. Since that first one, Jane has been at every run, organizing, helping, supporting, cheering people on. Jane is the angel, the spirit which continues on for Betty.

This year the ALS Society of Alberta hopes to raise nearly $500,000 with this effort. It's a month away and they've already raised over $60,000 of that goal. My personal goal was to raise $500, which happened very quickly. Then I reset it to $1,000, a goal which was achieved over night. I will change my goal to $2,000 today.

My team goal, my target for Team Terrific, is $10,000. I reality it would be wonderful to raise some audacious amount, something like $50,000 or perhaps even $100,000. But have neither the energy nor capacity to do what it takes to reach that many people. If Team Terrific can raise even close to $10,000, I will be very pleased.

There is a link at the top of the right hand column of this blog. If you feel moved to donate, just click that link. You can donate in my name, or in the name of Team Terrific. Either way, it will help me and many other PALS, through direct aid, through support, through research. And believe me, PALS and CALS need all the help we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment