Monday 30 May 2016

Donation Fatigue

Donation fatigue. It's what we all feel with the bombardment of advertising, telephone calls, personal appeals; all designed to make us feel like this is a cause we should support, all of them working on our emotions, tugging at our heartstrings, pulling at our wallets, all saying "give now". I suffer from it. You suffer from it. The needs are all around us, and constantly clawing for our attention.

So here I am, adding to that cacophony, that cloud of sound and interruption, asking for a donation to Betty's Run again this year. Some of you have already done so, and for that I thank you. Some have other causes which they feel they must support first, and I understand that. There are a lot of charitable choices out there, and mine is just another one.

Or is it? I am not going to make the case about how ALS needs your money more than cancer. Nor will I attempt to pluck away at your soul by telling you that at least there is a cure for heart disease, or a treatment in many cases. I won't play the game of how my disease is worse that anyone else's. The only true differentiator between anything else and donating to Betty's Run is me. I have ALS. I am going to Betty's Run. I am asking for your support.

This is perhaps the only distinction. ALS is not an incurable disease; it's an underfunded disease. We are getting closer to a cure, slowly but surely. When we arrive at that day, I suspect we will find that a great many other neurological diseases are cured as well. It just takes time, and money. Lots of money. Lots of time. And I don't have much time left.

So please; if you can find it in your heart to support this cause, I would greatly appreciate it. If you have already, I offer you all I can, my sincere thanks. And if you simply cannot, if donation fatigue has gotten to you, if other causes take priority, I understand. We all struggle with the challenge. Even me.

No comments:

Post a Comment