Sunday 18 June 2017

The Royal Mile

It looks like my morning blog is going to become an evening blog for the next little while. Getting up in the morning is tough and time consuming, so getting underway is now more important than any morning commentary I might have. In addition, I have the evenings to recap the events of the day.

Speaking of which, it was an eventful day for us today. First of all, I got up at 8:30 AM, voluntarily. I blame it on vacation timing. The downside of an early start is that my eyes are near closing now.I am fairly sure I can stay awake long enough to finish this post. On top of the early start, we had a tremendously long day today, storming Edinburgh Castle then walking down the Royal Mile to Holyrood Castle. The real challenge was cobblestones; those things do a number on my back while in the wheelchair.

The upside is we got to see Edinburgh Castle. Because I am i a wheelchair, the cab was able to take us right up to the main gate. From there, a castle shuttle bus took us right to the top of the castle. After a great visit there we headed out of the castle and came immediately to The Whiskey Experience, just outside the castle main gate. These two stops took up most of our day.

I'm not strong enough to push myself around. My arms are too weak for the hills, and far to weak for the cobblestone streets, so David did all the pushing today, up and down the hills and across the cobblestone streets. He pushed me in and around Edinburgh Castle. In and out of halls and shops; through St. Giles Cathedral, all the way down to Holyrood Palace, and then around the Scottish Parliament building.I am not sure which is more tired; his back or mine, his arms or mine.

After a full day of exploring just this one part of Edinburgh, both David and I are ready to take it easy. We had dinner along the Royal Mile.I think sleep counts higher than food for both of us right now. No late night beer or Scotch, Just sleep, precious sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Richard,

    Thank you for sharing your story online. I found your blog by chance as I googled with keyword "ALS DRINK WINE". I found your blog on making wine. I guess that your occupation was a wine maker.

    Well, the reason that I googled this keyword is that three weeks ago, my 74 years old dad was diagnosed with ALS. Since then, my dad lost appetite.....and hope. He has stopped to drink wine which he likes very much.

    He is very stressful with his condition and he has become fatigued very easy. May I ask you about ALS and drinking wine. Could ....and should ALS patients drink red wine? Will it do any harm? There are many articles on wine and ALS prevention. However, I could not find an article that supports ALS patients to drink red wine.

    Btw, thank you for sharing your stories online. May God give you strength and wisdom every day.

    Thank you very much!
    Jirawan S.
    Bangkok Thailand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have neither seen nor heard of any issues with drinking red wine and having ALS. I drink at least a glass every day with no ALS related ill effects. Even my doctors encourage me to drink some wine, although they recommend moderation. I, on the other hand, don't care about moderation.

      Delete
  2. Dear Richard,

    Thank you soooo much for this good news!

    God bless!
    Jirawan S.

    ReplyDelete