Thursday 3 August 2017

A Catheter Kind Of Day

I'm not sure if you would call this a new low, or just a new experience. Today, for the first time, my HCA had to help me put on my condom catheter. She's not really supposed to do this; it's not in the care plan. But Sam is tremendously helpful, not one to stand on ceremony or get easily embarrased.

The challenge with the condom catheter is it attaches best when the penis is "a bit stiff", as I was told at the ALS clinic. So far, for me, that has meant watching some rather interesting video for a short period of time, then putting on the catheter. Today, however, I was in a hurry to get out for my appointment for new compression socks. So Sam just helped. Not a lot. In fact it was very awkward. Nonetheless, we got the catheter on, and I got out faster than if I had to do it on my own.

So cathetered up, I went off to the pharmacy for a compression stocking fitting. I am allowed three pair a year by Alberta Aids to Daily Living and AISH. If I want more than that, they cost around $75 a pair. So I hoard and save these socks as much as I can. The fitting was quick; I was out of there by 12:30 PM. So, booted and spurred, as it were, what was I to do? Costco and Ikea!

I need to replace the corner table I drove over with my power wheelchair. I wanted a night table for the spare room. I was also going to pick up some prunes for myself, and perhaps some salmon for when Ricky gets here tomorrow. Both of those are very well priced at Costco, and there is an Ikea just down the road from Costco, down in Southeast Calgary.

I hopped on the bus, and took the 90 ride from near Foothills Hospital in Calgary down to Deerfoot Meadows Mall. I did my shopping without event. Then I called a cab to get home. All this while, my catheter seems to be holding just fine. I, on the other hand, am exhausted, ready to fall asleep. I just wish Sam was here to help me take the damned thing off too.

1 comment:

  1. That's a wee bit much detail big man :-)!!
    Hope you well... :-)

    ReplyDelete