Saturday 2 September 2017

Memories

So, my brother Peter is here this weekend. I know this because there is an empty bottle of 12 year old Bowmore Single Malt Scotch Whisky sitting in front of me. Oh, and also because I am in a very good mood today. I get that way when my brothers are around. I love having them visit.

I am very fortunate to have a tremendous group of people around me these days, brothers included. I have them, my friends, over to visit, to share meals, to share wine, all the time. But there is nothing quite like the history, the shared experiences, the shared misery of our younger years. I simply need to whisper about chickens and Peter shivers as I do. We can talk about life experiences, like travel or adventure, and know, understand, feel the same things in different ways.

It's true that I have had a terrific few years. Thanks to David, Cheryl, Katherine, Ricky, Mike, and so many others, I have had adventures galore. Most recently it was Ireland and Scotland. Before that it was down to my brother Adam's place. Last year it was road tripping with Katherine. And so on. But the best times are when my brothers come to visit me. I'm not sure what it is, but it makes me happy.

Even better, my brother Jim is on his way here today. He will stay the night; at least I hope he will. We'll talk, remember our childhood, think about where we came from, about where we are now. Perhaps Pete and Jim will go out to Karaoke. I will not. These days going out is too much of a hassle for me. I'll stay home, awaiting their return. I don't mind. I am happy that they get time together too.

Then, suddenly, it will be tomorrow. Today will have gone, leaving only the memory. This is how life works. You live. You experience. Time passes. you remember. In the end, that is all we have, today and memories.Not a bad deal when you think about it. Today is as good as we make it. Memories are that way too, as good as we make them.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post... memories helps me thru the tough times...

    ReplyDelete