Sunday 3 September 2017

Nightmare Nap

Zopliclone makes for nightmares. It's one of the known effects of the drug. It can also cause an intense, deep sleep, so dense that you don't wake up even for the most common of things, like going pee. This all becomes more powerful when your body is tired while your mind is not ready to sleep yet, like last night.

I went to be at around 9:30 PM, and couldn't sleep. I was exhausted from drink and lack of sleep on Friday night. Yet there was no rest for the wicked. So I tooke the pill. It took about an hour to cut in. From then on I knew of nothing, no dreams, no nightmares, nothing, until about 10:45 AM on Saturday morning.

Fortunatel Home Care was a bit late, so I was awake when Edith got here. I was also wet. I had slept right through going pee at some point in the night. Fortunately I take precautions for this. The damage was limited; a wet towel and a little dampness on my sheets. I can always wash the sheets and towels, so no worries.

Edith arrived, got me up, toileted, and dressed. Peter made breakfast. I enjoyed. But by 2:00 PM I was tired again. So off I went for a nap. This is when the nightmares came in. They were both very frightening, involving life and death, mostly my death. There is kind of a theme in all my dreams and nightmares these days, a theme where I am at risk of dying. Sometimes I wake up just as death arrives.

When I did wake up, at about 4:30 PM, I came out to Peter having a great time watching "Big Trouble In Little China", an absolute classic, with Kurt Russell talking like John Wayne, and tons of Chinese stereotyping. The first thing he said to me was "You were having yourself quite the nightmare." Apparently I was calling out in my sleep.

Needless to say, the nap was not highly effective. I slept, such as it was. But I am still very tired. Tonight will be another early night. It takes so much these days to recover from exertion. It's a combination of age and ALS, plus perhaps the odd nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment