Saturday 28 October 2017

More Tummy Troubles

I have been fighting tummy trouble for what seems like a few weeks. It may be shorter, as somewhere in the process I got that bladder infection and ended up in hospital for five days. Nonetheless, I was having digestive problems before, and I am having them once again. My tummy hurts.

Last night, after I went to bed, it got really bad, to the point of me having to vomit. I tried, I really tried. Unfortunately my bodily resistance to heaving out my innards would not allow the process to complete. So I just lay there, by belly hurting, feeling like I was going to puke. This has continued on to this morning. My tummy still hurts. I still have this vague, background feeling of need to throw up whatever contents lie within me. Worse, I was constipated this morning too.

In other words, I feel shitty. Oh so shitty.

Having to vomit last night was interesting from a muscle force perspective. Those involuntary muscles within me, and even the voluntary muscles which are nearly dead, can still constrict with a powerful force. The distress from the heaves was substantial, leaving me sweating and exhausted, awaiting the next bout. For muscles which can no longer hold me up straight, they do a hell of a job producing the power for projectile vomiting.

Yet even so, they failed. I have been unable to empty the contents of my stomach, either one way or the other. So here I sit, feeling sick to my stomach and completely uncomfortable. I tried eating a bit of bread this morning, tried drinking some water, even a bit of coffee. The end result was that the desire to puke returned full force, even though the actions did not merit the feelings.

I am not sure how long this will last. Being sick while having ALS is even more of a challenge than you might think. Even the quick trips to the toilet are too much, let alone the increased tiredness and exhaustion. It's been going on for a while. I hope it ends soon.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are suffering so much. Hope you get off the tummy rollercoaster soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems so unfair.................

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can going to a nearby clinic help you ? They might be able to do something to relieve this stress ... truly unfair.

    ReplyDelete