Tuesday 28 November 2017

Back To Nearly Normal

Today has begun well, better than a lot of days for a long time. This morning I awoke and had to pee. That may sound unexciting to lots of people, but to me it meant that my bladder is already starting to recover from what may have been more than a year of assault by bacteria. Not only did I have to go pee, but I was able to hold it, to wait while I got my jug and positioned myself. Then, to make it a very good thing, my bladder released 400ml of urine, something which hasn't happened in a long while.

This did not mean no cathether. There was still another 300 ml in there, waiting to attract any bacteria it could. In and Out Catheterization will remain a part of my routine for as long as I live, or until I reach a state where an Foley Catheter becomes a permanent need. Still, having more out than in is a very good sign, a pointer to wellness.

On top of that, I managed to have a controlled bowel movement, although not as controlled as I would have liked it. Nonetheless, there were no unexpected surprises, no soiled pants or pads or linens, no mess to clean up. That is a major win in my department.

Then came the really good stuff. I am dressed today in normal clothes, with the exception of compression socks. That means I am not wearing a diaper. While I am wearing an external catheter just in case, I don't really feel I will need it. But if I do, it is there. The real kicker is that I am wearing jeans for the first time in a long time. I had thought I would never wear them again what with the incontinence and the need for simple, easy clothing removal. Yet here I am, all jeaned up and ready to go.

Oh, and I am also wearing normal shoes today, my black running shoes. No, I don't run; yes, I wear running shoes. My HCA, Kathy, put them on for me. It's not that cold outside. I feel like I don't need the extra padding for warmth. I'm going out this afternoon, assuming the energy I am feeling now holds up. I want to go to the Game Store and look for another trivia game. I want to go to the Dollar Store to get a pill holder, replacing the one I broke a while back.

I am not back to normal by any measure. I am, however, back to as close to normal as I can get.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear about all the little things that made your life what it was today. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like kicken it in a pair of jeans .

    ReplyDelete