Wednesday 29 November 2017

Busy, Busy, Busy

Wow! It's 9:15 pm and I am finally getting a moment of my own to sit in front of my laptop and write. It's just been that kind of day, with lots going on and lots of time lost to challenges and tribulations brought on by ALS. Of course some of these things are challenges for everyone. I just seems worse for me.

Take public transit as an example. Lots of people use public transit, be it by choice or necessity. Now that I can no longer drive, I use transit almost exclusively; every once in a while I will use a taxi. What that means to me is that an already foreshortened day becomes even more squeezed with the time lost on the bus and C-Train. What was once a five minute drive becomes a 30 minute bus ride. What was once a 20 minute drive becomes an hour on public transit.

Of course some of it is straight out time lost because of ALS. I have to catheterize in the mornings now, along with toileting, showering, dressing and breakfast. All of these elements, though, are longer and increasingly difficult thanks to ALS. I need help with the catheter. I need help with getting dressed. My HCA has to do my exercises. All of this takes more and more time out of my day.

On the plus side, the natural busyness of my day was something we all like to do. I did a bit of shopping, then went to a movie and had dinner with a friend. She kindly set us up for a 3:50 pm showing of the new "Thor - Ragnarok" movie. We got to dinner at around 6:15 pm. After dinner and the transit home, I am here at what is pretty much bedtime. Olga, my HCA, should be here in about five minutes. So, from 10:30 this morning until 9:30 tonight, my day has been packed. It would be nice to have a longer day, or for things to move faster. That's all I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment