Friday 29 December 2017

Intruder Alert

I had a bit of a scary incident yesterday. I was in the middle of preparing things for dinner when a complete stranger opened my front door and stuck his head in. I asked him who the hell he was and what he wanted. He said he lived in Suite 409 and then asked if I knew what the time was. I know the guy in 409, and this was not him. I'm pretty sure he didn't need to know the time either.

He was a thief, most likely looking for an easy steal from apartments where nobody was home or where the door was unlocked. As my mind quickly put all the information together, I got angry. I told him in no uncertain terms to close my door and get out of my building. I used my anger to drive my voice, to press home my point. He quickly retreated. I quickly got back to my task at hand. Once finished I went to tell my neighbours, all of whom seemed to be not home at that time.

Funny thing is, I call it a bit of a scary incident yet I did not feel frightened in the least. He was a big man, but in my mind I already had a plan to drive right over him in my wheelchair, possibly holding him down for police. I also had a big knife in my hand, which I am certain he saw. Perhaps that impacted his decision to beat a rapid retreat. In all of this, my lack of fear in the incident is the most interesting to me.

I generally keep my front door unlocked when I am at home. This is to allow easy access for visitors, delivery people, home care workers and so on. I know who is coming, and generally when they are coming, except for deliveries from the pharmacy or UPS and such. I let people in to the building because I know they are coming here. What causes me some fear is when I am in bed at night, basically trapped without someone to help me get up. I'm not sure I can even do that solo any more. So night is the time for fright.

This incident reminds me once again that I should really look into a remote control lock, one that I can unlock from my bed. It would be safer, encouraging me to keep the door locked when I am not expecting anyone, or even when I am. The problem is cost; they generally run in the $300 range. I already have extra costs for January and February, what with mortgage and home insurance. At best, I won't be able to afford it until March, and by that time who knows what kind of shape I will be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment