Thursday 28 December 2017

Making Dinner

A common theme for me these days is exhaustion, especially with my arms failing as they are. Simply picking something up off the floor is the exercise equivalent of heavy weight lifting. It's sufficiently wearing on my body that I get nauseous from the workout. Doing chores, even simple ones, can leave me bagged for the day. If I really get going, in one day I can wear myself out for three more.

The problem is that I still want to lead an active life, even if it is limited by my body. I still want to make nice meals for guests, go shopping for my own groceries, put a table cloth on the table, fold my own laundry. Yet all of these things wear me down, or wear my arms down, to the point where I shake and shiver. Then I have to stop; for how long I never really know. It depends on what I am trying to do and how much I am willing to suffer so I can do it.

Today I am making dinner for friends. I am about to start preparing things, cutting vegetables, making the salad, everything I can do before their arrival in about three hours. I will work slowly, steadily, determinedly, until I get as much done as I can without complete collapse. First comes cutting tomatoes and mozzarella cheese for a Caprese ring around the platter I will use for Risotto Saffrona with Seafood. The Risotto will be the last thing I make; somebody may have to help me with it. You would think cutting tomatoes and cheese would be a quick, simple thing. Not so for me. It will take a while, then I will need a rest.

Next will come the Lobster Bisque. Fortunately I cheat on that one. I just buy Tomato Basil Soup and add the Lobster bits. Still, it will take me more time than most since I have to chop a lobster tail into little bits and saute it, along with the rest of the things needing saute. I really should have a sous chef.

At least the salad should be easy. I bought pre-packaged salad. All I need to do is add some tomatoes and some salad shrimp; the shrimp comes out of a can, ready to use, so that makes life easier. In fact I cheat on a lot of stuff these days, things I would normally cook from scratch. I just can't do it anymore.

Then the Risotto. This is probably my greatest challenge. I need to work in front of the stove, sitting sideways in my wheelchair, stirring the rice, adding the broth, all the while twisting my body to see what I am doing, using my arms to work the rice until it is done.

I did not sleep well last night. I sure am going to tonight. Exercise tires everyone out, especially me, especially when even the simple things are like running a marathon or triathlon. To do dinner tires every part of me. I need to pace things so I am not too tired to entertain when my guests arrive, too tired to eat, too tired to stay up until 9:00 PM or later. I'll get there. It'll just take some doing.

1 comment:

  1. My husband starts next month on the drug just approved by the FDA. His progression is very very slow so he is a great candidate for the treatment. The drug is called Radica

    ReplyDelete