Tuesday 2 January 2018

Breakfast

Kathy made pancakes for me this morning. Not flapjack style pancakes, but the crepe like pancakes made in Eastern Europe. Okay, maybe they are crepes, but my ex-wife makes them and she always called them pancakes. Perhaps it's because crepe is a French word and she is Mennonite, a religion which mostly speaks German or Russian in its origins. Who knows? Not me.

Anyway, I had crepes, or pancakes, for breakfast, or lunch, today. So many variables. So many choices. So many words! Regardles, I ate ten, yes ten, of them. This is a rather large amount, the kind of eating one would associate with a teenage appetite, or perhaps a logger's appetite. Yet here I am, wheelchair bound, largely sedentary, weakened and weary, eating my ten crepes, or pancakes, as you wish.

Even I am surprised at my appetite this morning, my willingness to cram in ten of these delicious treats, made from eggs, milk, flour, and a bit of suger. It might be the sugar that makes them so good. Maple syrup makes them even better, especially since it's mostly sugar too. What that means is that the bulk of my breakfast, the larger portion of my dietary intake this morning, was carbohydrate loaded sugar. Oh, there was some protein in there. Eggs have protien, so does milk. But sugar, including its cousin Maple Syrup, along with flour, are largely fat producing carbs.

Yet here I am, pleased with myself. I ate a big breakfast. I have a full belly. I am consuming at least some form of nutrition, although many would beg to differ on the nutrient content of ten crepes. I don't care. I have ingested calories, even a bit of fibre. Tonight I will have a decent supper too, thanks to a visit from a friend whereupon I will make a pork roast that I should have made yesterday but didn't because I was home alone and didn't feel like cooking.

Food is important. I need to eat. Most days I get lazy when it comes to dinner, eating prepared foods, frozen meals, or, more often, nothing but snacks. My evening calories are more likely to come from a bottle of wine versus something actually healthy. It's not totally bad; there is usually some food or food-like substance involved too. But breakfast, thanks to my HCA's, is the real meal of the day for me now. So I am making the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment