Saturday 13 January 2018

Sediment In My Urine

I have a distressingly large amount of sediment in my urine whenever the HCA's drain my bladder. Both my GP and the urologist I saw the other day say that I shouldn't worry about it. I don't have a bladder infection and I am feeling fine. But worry is my super power, so I did some investigation into why it might be there, and I've come up with a preliminary hypothesis as to how it might have affected me in the past, and how it might affect me in the future.

First and foremost, the presence of this sediment is not always an indicator of a bladder infection, although it can be in many cases. There are any number of reasons for having it in my bladder. In fact, according to both my doctors and the highly intelligent world of the Internet, everyone has this sediment in some amount. The difference is that people who can urinate normally pee it into the toilet without really noticing it. In my case, it settles into the recesses of my bladder and stays there until it is removed by the twice daily draining process.

Secondly, this sediment comes from a variety of things. The sediment you see in urine can be made up of sloughing of tissue (debris), crystals, casts, small stones, or cells. Depending on the type of sediment, the cause may vary considerably. My GP and the urologist both described the strings of white in my urine as "protien strings". I don't really know what that means, but I suspect it might be matter sloughed off my bladder wall.

What really matters is whether or not this material causes, or is related to, a UTI. Hence my hypothesis. I suspect I have had this protien in my urine for a very long time, perhaps for decades. It's normal. What is not normal is the urine retention in my bladder, and thus the protien retention in my bladder. This protien is excellent food for bacteria, making my bladder and wonderful home for any nasty little bugs which could find there way in there. I have a built in infection factory.

Since there was a large amound of food for bacteria in there, and a nice, moist environment for reproduction, bladder infections would not only be expected, but common. This has been the case for me in the past. Since my bladder stopped emptying properly, perhaps as much as two or three years ago, this would help explain the rise in UTI's, and the incidence of sepsis to go with them.

Now that we are draining my bladder twice daily, I am anything but upset about the sediment. What you would normally pee out, I must have drained out. Draining it out reduces the opportunities for infection. At least that is my hypothesis. It works for me. I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment