Thursday 8 February 2018

Something Or Nothing

Yesterday my Health Care Aide showed up with the sniffles and a bit of throat clearing. I asked if she thought she had a cold. She said "No. It's just the cold air outside affecting my sinuses." I wasn't so sure, and asked if she had a mask with her. She didn't. So I compromised and sent her off after getting me out of bed; no exercises, no breakfast. I had a fruit plate in the fridge.

Today I woke up with a bit of a headache and swollen glands in my neck, around my ears. I have a slight fever, but it might be a bladder infection or something else. My head is a bit fuzzy too, but I'm not sure if this is vertigo possibly, since I stopped taking my vertigo pills a few days ago on the advice of my doctor. If my vertigo comes back or gets worse, then I will go back on the pills. As to whether or not I'm getting a cold or some similar virus, it will take a day or three to really find out.

I am terrified of getting a serious cold. In my weakened immune state, I have a hard time fighting off bacterial infections, and no hope at all against viral infections where I don't have some form of internal immunity from prior attacks. If I get a cold, odds are fair that it will turn into pneumonia. Pneumonia is high on my "things that can kill me" list. It's how a great many ALS patients die.

I can fight a bacterial infection, like my recurring bladder infections, with antibiotics. I can do nothing against viral infections except hope that my body can fight back. It's why I get a flu shot every year. But the common cold has already put me in the isolation ward in the hospital once. I don't want to go back.

Blaming the care worker is not really fair. I don't know that she was incorrect. I have no proof that she had a cold or flu, except that she booked off today. Hell, I don't even know if I have cold or flue. I won't know for a few days. She was, or possibly was not, in the very same position. The only thing is that I am immuno-suppressed while she is not. Erring on the side of caution is just something I have to do these days.

If it's nothing, then nothing further will be said. If it's something, trust me, I will have something to say about it.

2 comments:

  1. Swollen glands in the neck is a sign that your immune system is kicking in and is busy unleashing its paratroopers upon ennemy positions. If it's viral, just help your body with an increase fluid intake and more rest than you would have on a usual daily basis. Keep us posted brother.
    Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to have gone away today. I think my body won this battle.

      Delete