Saturday 10 March 2018

No Concessions, No Stopping

Through a rousing night of beer and movies, I have arisen, seemingly untouched by my malfeasance, except perhaps a bit of rumbling in the depths of my body. I have awoken, renewed once again to face the coming days, weeks, possibly even months, with all that my spirit and body can derive from within. Even though I should, and most certainly will, fail, now, over time, tomorrow, I will not surrender all in my life which I have forged out of the darkness. I shall move, forward, as I can, or in my mind, as I must, never ceasing to enjoy, to love, to laugh, to live. Beer, wine, and all.

It is at the core of all which I believe, that life prevails, no matter what the circumstance. I am, like the Masai of South Kenya and Tanzania, firmly convicted that we make this journey but once, that we walk in light until our evening falls, never to pass this way again. It is incumbent, therefore, that I, that we, that all of us, whether together or alone, should make this journey with the full knowledge of its ultimate end, and in so doing, perforce find, every step of the way, the wonder and joy that is there for us. I choose life, for as long as I can, as much as I can.

I will make no concession, to this illness, to those who would have me live less of a life, to those who would cast me as profligate, irresponsible, failed. To all those who would say that I must give in, I will not listen. To all those who would say I cannot continue like this, I will not listen. I will instead listen to my heart, my spirit, doing that which it tells me to do until the day comes when I can do it no longer. I will fight for my life, fight until I lay choking in the dust of my own steps, reaching out with failed fingers to grasp that next piece of beauty in which I walk.

To those who make this walk with me, I can offer nothing except my ever increasing gratitude. As my path becomes increasingly difficult, it is you who clear the way so I may take that next step, find that next adventure, seize that next moment. To those who help in whatever way they can, there is so little I can offer in return except to share the wonder and joy of this passage, this journey which, but for you, would be lonely and dark. You are the light that shines for me, enabling me, encouraging me to live, and be alive within that life.

There is nothing else, nothing as good, nothing as lovely, as life.

2 comments:

  1. It takes a very special person like you to appreciate life in face of such adversity. You are very Special :-)

    ReplyDelete