Friday 2 March 2018

Snow Exhaustion

Exhastion. It's constant and invasive. Here it is 3:00 PM and I am ready for a nap, perhaps an hour or two. It doesn't really matter that much today. It's snowing here in Calgary. I am a shut-in once again. The streets are covered. The sidewalks are covered. The mall parking lot is covered. Everywhere I look there is snow, snow that will stick around for at least a couple of weeks or more.

I'm supposed to go to a retirement party tomorrow afternoon for Jane Rivest, one the the leading ALS advocates here in Alberta. She works for the ALS Society, however it is now time for her to step back and rest, letting others take over the load. My plan was to catch the bus, then the C-Train to a station near where the party is being held, then use my power chair to go the 8 or 10 blocks remaining. Thanks to this snow, that's out of the question. I'm thinking a cab might be more effective. My cab rides are subsidized, but still, it is not without some cost. Reliability will be a challenge as well.

On Sunday I am going to Emma's for dinner. I've already arranged for Access Calgary to take me there and back. The problem is that, thanks to this snow, they can't confirm a pick-up or delivery time for Sunday evening. I\m sure they will get here, and there, and back. I'm just not sure when.

This is my reality these days, that I depend on things like transit, cleared sidewalks, arrival and departure times, availability of cabs and such. All of this wears me down, adding to the build in exhaustion of ALS. I really do need that nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment