Sunday 18 March 2018

The Last Ride

I went for a ride in my truck today. It was probably the last ride I will ever take in it. Over the last few weeks it has become increasingly difficult to get me into the front seat, even from my elevated wheelchair. Notwithstanding David's valiant efforts, it was decidedly difficult for him today. It seems the time has come where my truck is no longer an asset, but is, instead, a liability.

Fortunately I am in the process of getting a van to replace the truck. It will be a handicapped accessible van, all setup for wheelchair access and transport. Tomorrow David and I will discuss the available opportunities for this kind of van with the Accessible Vehicles Solutions owner here in Calgary. He says he has a few ideas he could discuss with us. I hope it works.

Still, having the van does not mean a return to mobility. I doubt that I will be able to drive it, even if it has full "Easy Access" controls. These are special, light touch, electronic controls intended for someone in a position like me, or for quadraplegics and so no. I would like to try, but even so, eventually that too would be lost to me.

What I will need, if I ever want to do another road trip in my life, is a driver, a caregiver, and the money required to get on the road again. I would love to do it, in defiance of all odds, flying in the face of all expectations.The only real question, once these minor details are resolved, is where to go. There are so many places left to explore, so many to visit once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment